Starring Tom Baker and Lalla Ward
Directed by: Christopher Barry
Produced by: Graham Williams
Written by: David Fisher
The Doctor (Tom Baker) and Romana receive a distress signal and arrive on Chloris, a lush and verdant world that has only small quantities of metals, all of which are controlled by its ruler, Lady Adrasta. Adrasta keeps order with the aid of her Huntsman and his wolfweeds – mobile balls of vegetationwhile a band of scruffy thieves, led by Torvin, organize raids on her palace to steal whatever metal they can. The Doctor identifies the distress signal’s source as a large eggshell-like structure in the forest. He is taken prisoner By Adrasta’s guards and, in order to escape, leaps into the Pit – the entrance to a cave system into which all who incur Adrasta’s wrath are consigned to be devoured by an immense green globular creature living within. Can the Doctor escape from the creature of the Pit and save Chloris?
Originally transmitted in 1979.
- DVD Special Features: (41 mins)
- Audio Commentary by actors Lalla Ward and Myra Frances, director Christopher Barry and visual effects designer Mat Irvine
- Christopher Barry: Director Interview (19 mins)
- Team Erato Visual effects crew discuss problems faced in building and operating Erato, with Mat Irvine, Steve Bowman, Steve Lucas and Morag McLean (15 mins)
- Animal Magic Archive on-set interview with Tom Baker (2 mins)
- Extended Scene
- Photo Gallery (5 mins)
- PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
- Production Notes Subtitle Option
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality