Starring Tom Baker, Elisabeth Sladen and Ian Marter
The Ark in Space
The TARDIS arrives on an apparently deserted and deactivated space station Nerva, otherwise known as the Ark, orbiting Earth in the far future. There the Doctor, Sarah and Harry discover the last survivors of the human race held in suspended animation, Earth having been evacuated thousands of years earlier when solar flares threatened to destroy all life.
The station has been visited by Wirrn, an insect life form, which has laid its eggs in the solar stacks and absorbed the mind and body of one of the sleeping humans. The Doctor’s reactivation of the station’s systems causes the humans to start to revive.
Their leader, nicknamed Noah, becomes infected by one of the emerging larvae and is slowly taken over.
The Doctor and his friends meanwhile gain the trust of the other humans, now led by a med-tech named Vira. Together they manage to lure the hatched Wirrn insects into a shuttle craft and then eject it into space.
In a final act of humanity, Noah – by this time fully transformed into a Wirrn – deliberately neglects to set the shuttle’s stabilisers, causing it to explode.
- Commentary with Tom Baker (Doctor Who), Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah) and Philip Hinchcliffe (Producer)
- A New Frontier Making The Ark In Space
- TV Movie Version A special 70-minute repeat compilation of the story broadcast in 1975
- Dr. Forever! – Love And War A new documentary examining the Virgin/BBC Books novelisation range produced during the 1990-2005 hiatus. Interviewees include Russell T Davies (Executive Producer/Writer 2005-2010) and Mark Gatiss (Writer)
- Scene Around Six 1978 news footage of Tom Baker’s public appearances in Northern Ireland
- 8mm Location Footage Amateur film shot during Tom Baker’s first story
- Optional CGI Effects
- Original BBC Trailer
- Interview with Designer Roger Murray-Leach
- Alternative Title Sequence and Model Footage
- 3D Technical Schematics
- Easter Eggs On both discs
- Photo Gallery
- Coming Soon Trailer
- Production Information Subtitles
- Radio Times Listings, Doctor Who Technical Manual, Crosse and Blackwell and Nestle Promotional Material in Adobe PDF format.
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality